Wetherby Blue Plaques - Weir Garth
The old medieval bridge had four arches and these were eventually extended to six. Not only was the bridge damaged by severe floods but thousands of scottish cattle going south and coal carts going north in the late 1700s added to the destruction. It is hard to believe tha until the first by-pass of 1959 was built this bridge was part of the A1 carrying all the traffic on the Great North Road.
This plaque on Wetherby Bridge is close by the Weir Garth Blue Plaque; the photograph above was taken from just beside it.