Wetherby Blue Plaques - Wetherby Castle



Eventually in 1238 the castle and mill passed to the Knights Templar, an order of wealthy soldier/monks. Later they were replaced by the Knights Hospitaler of St. John until the Dissolution in Henry VIII's reign when it became royal property.

During the Civil War remains of the castle were held by Parliamentary troops under the command of Sir Thomas Faifax who repelled an attack by Royallists from York.



This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Wetherby Civic Society? Send feedback