Wetherby Civic Society formally came into being in March 1994 and is registered as a Charitable Trust,with the following aims and objectives:
- Promote Civic Pride along with high standards of architecture and town planning
- Encourage Improvements in public amenities throughout the town
- Influence Development of the built environment and the culture of our town
Over the last 25 years the Society has:
- Planted over 400 trees on public and open spaces in the town
- Published the Wetherby Historic Town Trail and a guide to the Conservation Area
- Encouraged the placing of blue plaques on historic buildings and new noteworthy developments
- Responded to and influenced planning applications to ensure that new developments are appropriate and in keeping with the historic town centre
- Agreed with Leeds Highway Authority and Wetherby Town Council a rolling programme of town centre footpath and street lighting improvements
- Taken part in the nationwide Heritage Open Days programme
- Conducted historic town trail walks for the Wetherby Arts Festival and other organisations.
- Offered our members a varied programme of talks and visits to historic houses, gardens and buildings.
Membership and its Benefits
- Membership is open to any person interested in the wellbeing of our town.
- It is the Society’s membership subscription which provides the funds enabling it to carry out its tasks.
- A right to attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting
- Advance notice of events organised by the Society
- Invitations to participate in specific projects
- Members may bring their friends to meetings and outings