The Calvinist Chapel was built in 1817 at the end of Victoria Street, but this was at the end of popular period for Calvinism and closed in 1835. Calvinism is a Reforming church that follows the theological tradition and forms of Christian practices of reforming Theologians, like John Calvin(1509 – 1564) who was an influential French theologian and pastor during the Protestant Reformation. Calvinists broke with the Roman Catholic Church but differed with Lutherans in the Theology they followed. The Reformed faiths early period was 1519-31 and spread throughout Europe in the 16th century, with different characteristics in different places.
The reform of the Church of England was also influenced by Reformed theologians, and remained so throughout the 16th century. English Calvinists whose insistence upon a purer form of worship and a purer life won for them the nickname, “Puritans.” Cromwell, was great Calvinistic leader, this gave Calvinism a boost and despite all that followed it was a strong in England, but by 1880’s the tide was turning against the strict purity of Calvinism. It was then used by the Primitive Methodists whose style of practising a purer form of Christianity, characterised by the relatively plain design of their chapels and their low church worship was close to the Calvinist, until their New Chapel was built in 1874.
Thank you to Michael Hare for providing this information