8. Church Street

Photo of the Church Street plaque - text below

St James’ Church was completed in 1842, it then became a separate parish. Next to the Church was a Church School (now used as a Parish Centre) originally for the labouring, manufacturing and poorer classes between 1859 and 1967.

Photo of Church Street

The southern half of the street was always a bustling place of work for various tradesmen and to this day is home to small independent traders.

Map showing the locations of the blue plaques

Click on any of the plaques below to see more detail.

error: Content is protected !!