Wetherby was once supplied with gas from works established in this lane in 1845. This building was once the Union Hotel, then renamed The Yorkshire Hussars after the cavalry stationed at Micklethwaite. For many years it was Hugh Hall’s Ironmongers.
Wetherby Gasworks was opened in 1852 on what is now Gashouse Lane. It had two gasholders and closed in the late 1970s.
The Union hotel 1834-1848 then became a private house. Later it became The Yorkshire Hussar 1857-1877. It then became Hugh Hall and Son, ironmongers 1877-1967. Contents of the shop are displayed in Castle Museum York. Contrary to local tradition and what is stated on the plaque there were no barracks at Micklethwaite. The Yorkshire Hussars were a volunteer force who operated from home so they did not require barracks although Micklethwaite may have been used for stabling horses for the Hussars.
Note the short section of cobbled street. There is another small area of cobbles, diagonally opposite Gashouse Lane, at the entrance to the Red Lion yard.
Click on any of the plaques below to see more detail.