A pub for more than 400 years, The Swan and Talbot in Wetherby was once a posting inn on the Great North Road.
Originally named the Dog and Swan, the pub was, until 1611, allowed to bear the coat of arms of the Swann family. The Swann family lived at Askham Manor in nearby Askham Richard.
The ‘dog’ was a talbot hound – an extinct type of hunting dog whose closest modern day descendant is the beagle – and the pub’s name was changed to The Swan and Talbot.
Inside, the pub has low ceilings befitting the age of the place, and at one end, a huge fireplace over which hangs a brief history of how it acquired its name.
This was the first item of the 1824 sale and contained not only this old inn but also property across the road which included a garden. Bess of Hardwick was a Talbot by her last marriage to the Earl of Shrewsbury. Swan was a popular name for early inns.