Built in 1811 by the Duke of Devonshire for butchers shops, each was let for three guineas a year.
In 1888 it was converted into a open market which sold poultry and dairy produce. At the beginning of the Great War these shambles were used for miniature rifle practice.
An old painting of the Market Place pre 1811 shows two rows of permanent stalls, one thatched, occupying a big part of the large market place. In that year the young 6th Duke of Devonshire began planning a face lift with the aid of the Atkinsons, architects of York. These new shambles were one of the earliest features built. Unfortunately the scheme was not completed when he decided to sell all his properties in a Great Sale in 1824.
The colonnade of arches originally helped enclose butchers’ open stalls probably used only on Market Day for the butchering of meat. They stalls are now enclosed and used by various shops and public conveniences.
The northern facade onto Market Place was added in 1911.
Click on any of the plaques below to see more detail.