The Angel Inn

The Angel became an important coaching inn between 1760 and 1840 with stabling for over 100 horses, It had its own smithy and shoeing shop to deal with the forty pairs of horses kept here for posting purposes.

In 1837 it serviced two mail coaches daily between London and Glasgow and between Hull and Manchester

The Grade II listing shows that the present Angel includes No. 2 Horsefair which was a separate establishment in Horsfair and most likely the Talbot Inn referred to in Chatsworth documents of the early 1700s.

Click on any of the plaques below to see more detail.