Micklethwaite on the south bank of the Wharfe had a public house, the Drover Inn (also known as the Spotted Ox and Drovers Arms) which is now a private residence.
The Dictionary of Pub Names states “For those who conducted droves of cattle or sheep to market, often over long distances, such pubs were welcome ports of call.”
Beilby Grange (later known as Wetherby Grange) was sold in June 1856. The Sale Catalogue includes –
NEAR THE WETHERBY ENTRANCE
FARM HOUSE AND INN, known as the “DROVERS ARMS”
In the occupation of Mr. George Burley.
It contains 7 Bed Rooms, 3 Parlours, Bar ditto, Tap, Kitchen, Dairy, Pantry and cellars; with Out offices, large Yard, small Barn, Stabling, Standing for Carriages and Carts, Poultry Houses, Piggeries, &c.
Opposite the inn were some “barracks” thought to have been built in 1825 to house the Yorkshire Hussars in case of civil disturbances anticipated in Leeds at the time of the Chartists. As the Hussars were a volunteer force without base this was not so much barracks, but was thought to have been used to stable their horses.
Also near where the barracks was thought to have been built was fields that used to be called the cricket field, though football and hockey were also played there, cricket was played there for the best part of a century.
With the advent of the railway, cattle were no longer driven over the bridge, Later on around 1880’s The Drovers Inn closed its doors to the public.